This week it’s been overcast and rainy on the Gold Coast, signalling a cool change into winter. Thus meaning only one thing for me at breakfast time: porridge, and quinoa porridge at that!
During the cooler months, it can be a bit boring to just top your porridge with the same ingredients day in day out, so it’s nice to spice it up by adding flavours when cooking. Here’s the first of many porridge flavours for you to enjoy this coming winter… carrot cake!
It’s important the carrot is cooked through so you’re not eating raw carrot for breakfast. It is also a great way for kids to get some extra vegetables in their daily diet – as they wouldn’t expect to have them hidden in their porridge! Just a little tip, if making it for children grate the carrot even finer and ensure it’s completely mixed in so they won’t see the flecks of orange.
Cinnamon and nutmeg are warming spices which are ideal to incorporate into your breakfasts on those cooler mornings. These spices, among others, aren’t just for flavouring dishes they are also beneficial to your health.
This porridge surprisingly tastes like carrot cake and is a real treat to enjoy for breakfast!
Creamy carrot cake quinoa porridge
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 TBSP coconut yoghurt
- 1 TBSP raisins
- 1 TBSP coconut chips or shredded coconut
- 1 TBSP walnuts, chopped
- 1 tsp almond or walnut butter
- Place quinoa, carrot and almond milk in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes or until creamy, stirring occasionally.
- Add nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger, and continue to cook for two minutes.
- Stir through coconut yoghurt, raisins and coconut chips.
- Serve in bowl and place chopped walnuts and nut butter on top. Enjoy!