Twas the week before Christmas and the celebrations had already begun…
As there has been a lot to celebrate this past week, including finishing my double degree, last night good friends joined me for an early Christmas dinner. We’ve spent the last four years of university together and are now ready to graduate and face the ‘real world’. It was an evening filled with delicious food, fabulous drinks and even better company.
We started the celebrations in style as it’s not everyday you finish two degrees. Nibbles included goat cheese camembert, Mary’s Gone Crackers (my favourite crackers), Sicilian olives, fresh strawberries and macadamia nuts.
Following the nibbles, we feasted on Christmas Dinner. The menu consisted of:
- Chicken skewers with a spicy peanut sauce
- Mango, macadamia and basil salad
- Paprika sweet potato, parsnip, basil and lime salad – made without the chicken
- Quinoa, chickpea, coriander and avocado salad
- Wild caught king tiger prawns
- Raw vanilla macadamia cream fruit tart
- Christmas chocolate bark
All of these recipes will be posted this coming week so you too can hopefully enjoy them come Christmas Day! I’ll also be posting ideas on how to festively set the table for Christmas Day, including a way to keep the your guests entertained and create memories whilst you dine.
Here’s the first of the Christmas recipes for you to enjoy… Mango, macadamia and basil salad. This salad really complements seafood, especially prawns, as it’s very fresh – in both colour and taste.
I absolutely love the vibrant colours in the salad. Summer to me always signifies mangoes – growing up in Cairns they were definitely a staple in our household throughout the season.
The shallots, basil and chilli lend this dish a Christmassy feel in terms of colour whilst the macadamias provide a delicious crunch.
This salad will keep in a sealed container in the fridge for up to two days.
Mango, macadamia and basil salad
- 3 ripe mangoes, diced
- 1 cup fresh basil, washed and finely sliced
- 1/2 cup macadamias, chopped
- 1 shallot, finely sliced
- 1/2 chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place mangoes, basil, macadamias, shallot and chilli in a large bowl and mix until well combined.
- Stir through lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Enjoy!
How will you be celebrating Christmas in style this year?