There’s something so relaxing about Sunday mornings, I think it’s because you’re able to ease into the day at your own pace – no matter how fast or slow. Today I started mine slowly with a beach swim, delicious breakfast followed by some writing.
A couple of weeks ago I injured my back, resulting in me having to take it easy – this meant no cooking! Such a difficult thing for me to do as I love cooking; this also explains my absence in regards to recipe posts. However, I’m well and truly on the mend now and have been enjoying creating recipes once again.
As breakfast is my favourite meal of the day I’ve been creative in the kitchen this past week – my favourite of them all has been french toast! I’ve only ever enjoyed french toast a handful of times however since creating this recipe and knowing how easy it is, I will be making it more often.
It’s such a versatile breakfast as it can be enjoyed with a variety of toppings – fruit, nut butters, yoghurt, maple syrup and chocolate sauce just to name a few!
This batter is not your traditional french toast batter as it is made without eggs, making it vegan. It’s quite light yet the cinnamon and maple syrup lend a subtle sweet earthy flavour to the french toast. I will definitely create a batter with eggs in the coming weeks as an alternate option!
Once cooked, the toast takes on a beautiful golden colour and as it’s fried it becomes quite crunchy, YUM!
The french toast is best served immediately otherwise it will lose its crunch. The batter can be made the night before to save time in the morning – store this in a sealed container for up to two days.
Vegan french toast
Serves 2 – 4 people
- 4 slices of gluten free bread
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 TBSP buckwheat flour
- 1 TBSP 100% pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Coconut oil for frying
- Whisk together the almond milk, maple syrup, buckwheat flour, cinnamon and vanilla extract in a shallow dish.
- Place each slice of bread into the batter and allow it to soak for 1 minute each side.
- Heat coconut oil in a medium-size frypan over medium heat. Once the pan is hot, place the bread slices in the pan and cook for a few minutes per side, until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve with chia blueberry jam, fresh fruit, coconut chips and almond butter – also, extra maple syrup if you like! Enjoy!
- Substitute the almond milk for another dairy free milk.
- Substitute the buckwheat flour for another gluten free flour – quinoa or plain gluten free.
- Substitute the maple syrup for honey (however this won’t be vegan)
I’d love to hear what breakfasts have you been enjoying lately?!