In our household, Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas without rum balls. Instead of using crushed biscuits and condensed milk, I opted for a healthier version this year. It actually surprised me how much they taste like the ‘real’ ones.
I wanted to share this recipe with you before Christmas so you too can hopefully enjoy them come Christmas Day!
I find that brazil nuts are quite oily which work really well in this recipe as they keep the rum balls moist.
Once processed, the mixture is quite crumbly but the coconut oil and dates help to combine the rum balls when rolled.
These are a great addition to your Christmas menu and are a healthy treat to enjoy throughout the day!
Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to one week.
Raw rum balls
Makes approximately 30 balls
- 10 fresh medjool dates, pitted
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup brazil nuts
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1 TBSP coconut oil
- 1 TBSP dark rum – start with 1/2 TBSP then add more to suit your taste buds
- Place all ingredients into a food processor and process for 5-7 minutes, stopping to scrape down the sides.
- Roll into 30 decent sized balls.
- Place in the fridge to harden and enjoy!
Note: for an alcohol free version just omit the rum.
Only two sleeps to go…!