Lately I’ve been drinking chia seeds with lemon and water throughout the day as a different way to up my daily water intake. Not only have I been drinking more water, but I have also noticed I haven’t had to snack as much. I think it’s my body’s way of saying I was only thirsty instead of hungry all along!
Chia seeds are full of omega 3 and are high in antioxidants. When they come into contact with liquids they expand like there’s no tomorrow. That’s why I’ve only added 1 tablespoon of them as this will expand to around 1/2 cup!
The lemon juice adds a fresh flavour to your water and also has an alkalising effect to the body.
I usually sip on mine throughout the morning and I’ve found that I don’t need to have my usual morning tea snack – most of the time anyway!
Chia lemon water
- 1 TBSP chia seeds
- 750mL water
- 1/2 fresh lemon, juiced*
- Add chia seeds to the bottom of glass jar/water bottle.
- Add water and lemon juice then secure the lid.
- Shake until all the chia seeds are loose. Enjoy!
- Add more water as you drink it if the chia seeds expand too much.
- You could use fresh lime or orange juice instead of lemon too.
- Make sure your glass jar/water bottle doesn’t have a straw as the chia seeds might get stuck in it!
I’d love to hear what you think of this drink!