Growing up in Cairns I only ever experienced two seasons – wet and dry. What I love most about Melbourne is the city actually goes through ALL the seasons. Whilst I was there, I was fortunate enough to see it change from winter to spring! It seemed like overnight everyone’s clothing became brighter and there was a real buzz in the city.
This buzz made me want to cook with something that was in-season. So, I opted for a strawberry chia jam as strawberries are nearing the end of their harvest. This was a great addition to my morning porridge.
As I’ve said previously, quinoa flakes are great for breakfast as they contain all the nutritional benefits of regular quinoa but they just cook a lot quicker – perfect for those early/busy mornings. Adding the shredded coconut provided the porridge with great texture and flavour.
If there are leftovers they will keep in the fridge in a sealed container for two days.
Coconut quinoa porridge
- 1/4 cup quinoa flakes
- 1/4 cup shredded or desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, add more if too thick
- Serve with strawberry chia jam and almond butter
- Place quinoa, shredded coconut and almond milk in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir continuously for 3-5 minutes, or until thickened and creamy in texture.
- Top with jam and almond butter – enjoy!
What do you love most about spring?