There’s nothing better than baking early in the morning. I love the smell of freshly baked food wafting throughout the house and I’m sure my family enjoys waking up to the smell knowing there is something tasty in the oven!
I think it’s about time I tell you a little something about myself: I dislike bananas immensely! I’m not sure if you’ve already noticed but none of my recipes have banana in them. Ever since I can remember, I just haven’t liked them.
This can sometimes be difficult when wanting to make a cake or slice as bananas are a really useful wet ingredient. However, I think I have found the perfect alternative: coconut yoghurt!
Almond meal is a great base for this loaf as it’s gluten free yet still really filling.
I’ve been eating coconut yoghurt for the past 18 months and actually hadn’t thought of cooking with it before. Silly me! You will probably see me bake with this little gem more often!
The blueberries, almonds, oats and coconut give this loaf substance and all nourish the body.
It looks slightly blue but I can assure you this is from the blueberries!
This loaf doesn’t have any sugar in it however if you prefer some sweetness just add some honey or 100% pure maple syrup to taste.
This loaf will keep for four days in a sealed container in the fridge.
Blueberry coconut oat breakfast loaf
Mades 1 loaf
- 3/4 cup almond meal
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 TBSP coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut yoghurt
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup almonds, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Grease or line loaf tin with baking paper.
- Combine almond meal and baking soda in a large bowl, set aside.
- Whisk eggs in another bowl. Stir in vanilla extract, coconut oil and coconut yoghurt.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients.
- Fold in blueberries, coconut, almonds and oats.
- Transfer batter to prepared loaf tin. Bake for 40 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- Slice and enjoy!
Note: you can substitute the coconut yoghurt for 1/2 cup mashed bananas
What do you eat for breakfast on the go?