Having oats for breakfast day-in-day-out can be monotonous. By varying the spices and fruit I add to my oats, I look forward to breakfast and what bowl of goodness I’ll be enjoying!
I decided to go for warming spices and a vegetable this time – I’ll admit, I was a little scared of putting carrots and oats together but safe to say it actually tastes amazing!
What I love most about oats is how quickly they cook. In little to no time you have a tasty, healthy and filling breakfast.
The carrots cook down and release their orange colour which takes over the dish. The raisins provide a sweetness and the walnuts add a slight crunch.
I love the grated apple on top as it adds a fresh tartness to the oats.
Carrot cake oats
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely grated
- 1/4 cup gluten free rolled oats or regular rolled oats
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1 TBSP raisins
- 1 TBSP raw walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 green apple, peeled and grated
- Shredded coconut for sprinking on top
- Place all ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes until creamy, stirring occasionally.
- Serve in bowl and place grated apple and shredded coconut on top. Enjoy!
Note: you can add a drizzle of honey or 100% pure maple syrup to add a sweet element.
How do you like to mix up the flavour of your oats?