Everyone seems to love burritos. I remember as a little girl getting so excited to have burritos for dinner, probably because we rarely had them and the fact that you can ‘make your own’.
It’s an easy yet tasty mid-week meal that requires little preparation.
I used a combination of cumin and paprika to give the mince an earthy flavour. This is definitely a healthier alternative to the packaged spices you can buy.
I believe everyone should eat a rainbow a day! I just love the fresh vibrant colours all the vegetables lend this dish.
All dishes will keep in the fridge for up to two days either in a sealed container or covered in plastic wrap. Enjoy as a salad for lunch the next day!
Healthy beef burritos
Serves 4 generously
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1kg organic beef mince
- 2 TBSP cumin
- 2 TBSP paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
Toppings and wraps/’bowls’
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 4 tomatoes, washed and diced
- 1/2 iceberg lettuce, washed and 1/2 shredded & 1/2 used as ‘bowls’
- 1/2 red cabbage, washed and 1/2 shredded & 1/2 used as ‘bowls’
- 1 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 1 serving of this guacamole
- 1/2 cup hummus (I used Yumi’s brand)
- 4 gluten free wraps
- Preheat oven to 160C/325F.
- In a large frying pan over medium heat place coconut oil, red onion and garlic cloves. Cook for 1 minute. Add mince and cook for a further 10-12 minutes, or until it is all cooked.
- Place wraps on lined baking tray and warm in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Add cumin, paprika, chili flakes, salt and pepper to the mince and cook for 2 minutes. Place in a bowl to serve.
- Place all dishes on the table and enjoy a healthy meal!