As much as I love cooking, usually the last thing I feel like doing after a long busy day is cook a complicated meal. This zucchini pasta recipe is very simple yet packed with flavour. It is a great dish to have any night of the week!
After making your own fresh pesto it is very difficult to go back to using the store-bought version. When you do have the chance to make some, make enough to last a few meals and store in a glass container in the fridge. That way you’ll always have fresh pesto on hand to enhance any meal.
By using ribboned zucchini instead of actual pasta, you are still able to have the ‘pasta’ experience along with all nutrients from the zucchini.
A little tip when preparing asparagus for cooking, always break the ends off. This removes the woody end and leaves you with the fresh spear. I actually find snapping the ends quite therapeutic!
Homemade zucchini pesto ‘pasta’ with goat cheese and asparagus
- 2 zucchinis, ribboned
- 1 bunch asparagus, sliced
- 2 TBSP coconut oil
- 50g goat cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, washed
- 1/2 cup spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, extra for on top
- 2 garlic cloves sliced, 1 for pesto and 1 for zucchini
- 1 TBSP nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Place basil, spinach leaves, pine nuts, 1 garlic clove and nutritional yeast in the food processor. Process until well combined. Add the olive oil slowly whilst processing. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large frypan, place the other garlic clove and 1 TBSP coconut oil over medium heat. Add zucchini and cook for 2 minutes.
- In a small frypan, add 1 TBSP coconut oil and asparagus over medium heat. Cook for 2 minutes.
- In two bowls, place zucchini, asparagus, pesto and goat cheese. Top with pine nuts and season with salt and pepper. Enjoy!
What is your go-to meal after a long busy day?